Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Dear Doctor - Excerpt 8

Upasani Maharaj said, “According to the type of people approaching him, a Sat-Purusha (Perfect Master) is seen to behave — to act… The actions he is seen to do are not his: he is the reflection of your own actions.”
Perhaps this accounts for the great disparity that is exhibited in the way he responds to people - and how they respond to him. In the next excerpt from
Silent Whispers — Timeless Talk he speaks to a doctor. Like the previous excerpt, it is a true story recounted from The Talks of Upasani-Baba Maharaja.


My Dear Doctor

“A real doctor can administer a real cure, but real doctors are, these days, few and far between. To cure a disease is to absolve a person from the sin that caused the disease in the first place but, in curing the disease, the sin comes to the doctor and so it is absolutely essential that the doctor do certain things to remain unaffected by the sins he contacts through his work.
Remember, the ability to affect a cure is in direct proportion to the blessings one accumulates in your past and present lives, so do not now neglect your prayers and spiritual practices, or your stock of blessings will dwindle quickly to nothing. Remember too, that though you have somehow won these blessing, they are not really yours, for they have been given to you as a gift. Therefore, do not take pride in or credit for the results of your efforts and work to maintain your association with God and those who have realized God.
These days, as I have said, there are few real doctors and that is why they are, from the spiritual perspective, unsuccessful. The truth of the situation is this. Since disease is the outcome of sin, the suffering from that disease absolves the person from that sin. My dear doctors, if you cannot remove the sin, do not remove the suffering. If you are unsure, remember this story…
Once a man came here to see me and to get my blessings; I inquired as to his occupation and he said he was a doctor. I said, ‘A doctor? What do you do?’
He replied that people came to him with their ailments and he advised them properly and recommended different medicines to assuage their suffering.
I saw that this doctor was just an ordinary man. He was full of pride and self-importance due to his attachment to his work. So I said to him, ‘My dear doctor, what you are doing is a very bad thing.’ I then went on to explain the nature of sin, disease, and suffering and then concluded by saying, ‘and so, if you cannot remove the sin, do not remove the suffering.’
Understandably, the man was very upset. His face fell; he looked down, and said nothing. ‘So, what should I do?’ he finally asked and I replied, ‘It is not that you should not help to cure the diseased. To help the helpless and relieve them to some extent is a virtuous deed, but you yourself should not profit from their situation. Practically speaking though, if this is your occupation then you must provide for yourself and your family. So I say, do not be a doctor to make money, instead make enough money to be able to remain a doctor. Don’t think of becoming rich, just charge in such a way that you and your family somehow manage to fulfill your needs. Continue to be a doctor, not because you want to, but because I have asked you to. Do it for me and I will see to it that you incur no bad impressions from your work.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous keysunset said...

Slightly related to your excerpt, I thought about doctors who donate time and services away from their regular practices to go to places of devastation - Haiti comes immediately to mind, but there are many, many others. And even those who donate time and expertise where they are - they usually do it without a lot of fanfare and I think are doubly blessed because they are not seeking the approval of others as well as the approval of God.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home