Sunday, October 24, 2010

Make My Life Simple and Straight

Gitanjali (Bengali)is a collection of poems by Rabindranath Tagore. Gitanjali means an offering of songs. Like the Arti, it is offered as a prayer to the Divine Beloved.

From time to time I am inspired to rework a poem -- personalize it -- much in the same way I would interpret a piece of music by a master musician.

In honor of the spirit of Meher Baba's New Life ( see previous posts), I offer a few of these poems of Tagore.


My song has put off her adornments.
She has no pride of dress and decoration.
Ornaments would mar our union,
they would come between you and me;
their jingling would drown your whispers.

My poet’s vanity dies in shame before your sight.
Oh master poet,
I pray at your feet:
Make my life simple and straight,
like a flute of reed for you to fill with your song.

1 Comments:

Anonymous keysunset said...

I really love the beauty and meaning of this one. "Make my life simple and straight" may become one of my life phrases, like, "laugh every day" or "i thank you God for most this amazing day (e e cummings)"

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home